Here at Cairnhill Lodge …
We are committed to providing a high-quality service whilst actively reducing our environmental impact. Our activities are based around the provision of services and utilities for our guests. As a result, the majority of our energy usage and associated carbon emissions are from the use of grid electricity and burning of kerosene oil for hot water and heating, and our main purchases in terms of environmental impact include cleaning and food & drink products.
We are constantly seeking new ways in which we can reduce our impact on our environment without forsaking the comfort and enjoyment of our guests.
Some ways in which we are achieving this include:
- The lodge is built from wood from sustainable resources – wood is an incredibly good insulator and its natural thermal insulation provides all year-round comfort – warm in winter, cool in summer. The lodge also has cavity walls that are filled with insulation.
- All windows are double glazed.
- All curtains, where utilised, are fully lined to prevent heat loss.
- 100% of our electricity is matched to renewable sources by our provider.
- With your help we aim to recycle glass, paper, cardboard, plastic and cans by disposing of waste in the proper bins.
- We bulk buy and refill whenever possible to reduce packaging waste.
- We use environmentally friendly products where appropriate – dishwasher and washing machine tablets, dish washing liquid and disinfectant products.
- We provide ethically sourced fair-trade condiments.
- We have installed LED energy saving light bulbs throughout.
- We use / sell seasoned logs for optimum performance in the log burning stove. This increases efficiency and reduces particulates in the smoke.
- We provide online booking with email notification to reduce paper.
To help us reduce our environmental impact we would appreciate if you could please switch off lights and turn down heating when not required – and in particular when you leave the lodge.
Please also help to look after Scotland’s outdoors. Scotland’s Outdoor Access Code highlights how we should all act in a responsible manner in the outdoors in order to help maintain our wonderful environment.
If you have any suggestions on how we can improve our environmental credentials, then we’d love to hear from you.